Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My little helper

Selah Selah Selah. She's such a character. She's certainly got a strong idea of what she wants and when she wants it. She is so animated and full of energy. Lately I've been realizing that if I just relax and think of the things that would be fun for her to do with me, I can get something checked off my "to do" list and also share a fun experience with my daughter.

Selah shares my enthusiasm for the garden. When we had that summer that just wouldn't quit, my big science-experiment of a garden would just pump out tons of tomatoes, beets, kale, swiss chard, peppers and zucchini. Selah and I would pick a few things and make our "spicy salad". The arugula would get so peppery...from the heat I think. I'm glad my kids will know that food doesn't always come from a box or from the store!
Volunteer zucchini plants don't always turn out the best looking squash. And Nate is sooo sick of finding zucchini hidden in every meal and zucchini bread and cookies. So I had to pawn them off to friends.

Selah was so proud of this pie we made together. It took all the self-control she could muster up to NOT dig her little fingers in before it went in the oven. She wanted it so bad.


Today we made a loaf of bread to go with our spaghetti and meatballs dinner. I always have my little helper when it comes to kneading the dough.
Selah gets all up in there too. I love it!
One of these days we should bake a little cake together just so she can rip into it with her grubby little hands. She would love that.

2 comments:

Korlynne said...

She is adorable...we are right in the same boat with our little independent, sassy Solana...I think her and Selah would be great friends :)

Mark Bornstein said...

We'll take some zucs!!! Love that you are enjoying your garden. We can't wait to have a yard and hopefully plant some veggies one day:)