Wednesday, November 16, 2011

good people

Two weeks ago, it was Selah's day to "share" in Ms. Anita's preschool class. She is supposed to bring something special from home to show the class. They ask her questions about it.....you get the idea. She brought her doll that she got for Christmas last year from Grandma Summy (and friend of the family, Kathy who found it at an estate sale or something.) It's a "My Friend Mandy" doll from the late 70's. After her "share" time, Selah put Mandy in the share box as usual, but we forgot to take her home. The weekend went by and we didn't get a chance to go back for the doll until a few days later. The doll was gone. We looked everywhere. We tore the classroom apart looking for Mandy. She was lost. It didn't even occur to Selah that somebody took it, so I didn't press it. She was just confused and said, "Find her Mommy!" I told her that someone probably played with her because she's so fun, and they probably put her down somewhere...hard to find.  We'll keep looking. Ms. Anita suggested I make a poster, because the preschool classroom is shared by an afterschool program next door. I threw this poster together quickly and put in on the door....with very little hope.
10 days went by.

Today I dropped Selah off a preschool and we saw this.
No. Way.

And inside her cubby was a note.
I got goosebumps when I read the note. What a sweet sweet girl. Now I don't know if Cassidy somehow found it in a deep corner of the classroom that we missed (doubt it) or if she "found" the doll in her backpack......but it doesn't matter. She returned it to Selah. And she wrote a sweet note. And it takes a special kid to make that kind of a gesture. I hope Selah learns to have the kindness, compassion and integrity that Cassidy has shown.

But today she'll learn to make a thank you note.

No comments: