Monday, May 11, 2009

An Ode to Mothers Day

Things I appreciate about being a mom:
  • My goofy kids obviously. They amaze me and make me laugh everyday and fill me with purpose.
  • My husband. Nate is seriously such a good dad. I don't even know where to start. And he encourages me with words of love daily. (More about Nate on Fathers Day)
  • Grandparents! I'm finding that good parents make awesome grandparents. They spoil the kids so I don't have to and I discipline the kids so they don't have to. Win win.
  • Our friends, most of whom don't have kids yet and are sooooo supportive and who put up with us bringing our kids to every party, softball game, super bowl party, surf outing, game night.....and have watched our kids for free!
  • My mom-books like "Super Baby Food" and "The No Cry Sleep Solution". One of these days I'm gonna put some of those tips into practice for Selah, my super-waker-upper.
  • Music. One might think I would get sick of singing You Are My Sunshine, Three Little Ducks or Hush Little Baby a million times a day, but I don't. It doesn't faze me. I love it.
  • All the other young mamas in my life who are trying to figure this all out with me. Jen, Joanne, Liza, Lindsay, Cynthia, Rachel.....and many more. Such amazing mamas out there.
  • My "minivan" stroller and other various baby-carrying contraptions. My arms thank you.
  • Our daily walks downtown to the library or park.
  • Youtube. There are all kinds of fun quick kid videos- helpful when you don't have cable. Our favorites are the old Goofy "How To" videos from the 1950s.
  • The fact that going to the grocery store without the kids seems like a vacation.
  • Figuring out that using the word "special" in front of anything (a chair, a banana, whatever) encourages much more enthusiasm from a toddler.
  • Post bath naked run-around-and -act- crazy time. (for the kids, not me)
  • Snuggling in the bed with both kids in the morning.
  • Listening to Nate play music for Finn at bedtime while I'm nursing Selah to sleep. This is my favorite time as a mother. Pretty blissful.
  • Um....I'm sure there's more.....but Finn just asked for a drink of water and I can hear Selah waking up now and it's only 11:30 pm. And so it continues.......
I love my life!



(Thank you Nate for the wonderful brunch and shopping trip on Mothers Day!)

4 comments:

Beth Wirth said...

What a wonderful, inspiring post for the yet-to-be moms. You are a great mom, Katie!

Lina said...

What a beautiful post and what a beautiful mother! You and Nate have some pretty fabulous kiddos!

Unknown said...

Beautiful thoughts, Katie. I am so happy to have you as my "daughter-in-love". You and Nate are wonderful with the kids. It is a joy to be around you. Thanks for letting me spoil the little kiddos!

Granny Peg

Josephine Tournier Ingram said...

happy mother's day!