Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Let the countdown begin....

This blog started out as a way to share our photos of young Finnegan Jack 3 1/2 years ago....and has now evolved into much more than that - a journal of sorts. A big change is gonna come - so I'm feeling kind of nostalgic and want to share some thoughts. So, my apologies, and your welcome.

When Nate and I got married almost 7 years ago, we decided that we wanted to live in a beach town for just a year or two before we settled down closer to home up North. We chose Santa Barbara because Nate went to Westmont here and some of his friends were still hanging around. So, we would have a fun year or two being newlyweds in a fun beach town and then be practical and settle down where the median home prices are NOT 1.2 million dollars!

One year turned into 7 years (minus one year in Chile) and last March we decided that this would be our last year in Santa Barbara. Nate put in a tough year of commuting at night to UCLA for his Administrative Credential and Masters Degree, and now finally, we are making the big move to Nor Cal....in less than 3 weeks! We heard it was a good time to look for a job! (*nervous laugh*) I say "finally" with a sad smile. We are excited for this next step, but boy it's really going to be tough to leave this place and the people in it.



Things I will totally miss about Santa Barbara:

*A rare and fantastic group of friends. It isn't always the case that married couples find other married couple friends that mesh so well together, and here we have found several! (plus unmarried friends) A few of us have been meeting for 7 years every Thursday night for dinner, the guys together at one house and the ladies at another, taking turns cooking. Over the years we have enjoyed phases of different activities as a group - beach volleyball, frolf, ultimate frisbee, skate-boarding, surfing, bocce, game nights, wine tasting...you name it.






* The oodles and oodles of parties! The annual b-day party for Jared and also for Jos (both usually a "surprise" and usually involving costumes), the annual blind-wine-tasting contest b-day party for Beth (where I have earned two victories thank you very much), and all the random BBQ, beach day or bowling parties throughout the years. I shall miss them all, especially the big whammy.....the Annual New Years Poker Night Extravaganza, where Nate has been known to fall asleep before the ball drops.




*The ocean, obviously. We live one mile from the beach now. We don't go all the time, but I definitely feel like we haven't taken it for granted.


*The small town feel. Santa Barbara always has a ton of events, like parades and concerts in the park and festivals, and it seems like everyone in town actually shows up! I love it.


*Although SB doesn't hold on to their young families very well (again - house prices) it is full of tons of resources for parents. Great adult ed classes, library story-times, parks, zoo, beach etc. I feel like I've met every mom in this town with a 3 year old. We all go to the same places.



*Our church. (I don't have any pictures.) Our parish has been like an extended family to us here. This year especially, we have grown close with some other families at church and we will miss them dearly.

*Nate's school. Great people, great kids. They have really taken care of us, and been so supportive of Nate. Plus everyone has been very patient with my....developing Spanish skills. We will really miss you all. !Si se puede!




* I am sure more things will come to mind later as we continue to soak up everything Santa Barbara. This has been such a great home for us so far. However, I also have a running list of things to look forward to in Northern California. This does feel like the right step for us right now. It's just difficult to say goodbye sometimes.





3 comments:

Watoosa said...

I have been missing Santa Barbara quite a bit lately (even though I love it here, no place is like SB). Now I have to miss it twice as much for both of us. Alas!!!

Josephine Tournier Ingram said...

Oh man... I'm not ready for you guys to leave us!! I think I'm in denial about the whole thing. Seeing all these photos makes me happy and sad... the same way I feel about you guys leaving. Sad for us, but happy for you. We love you guys!!

Heath Family said...

What an amazing chapter of your lives you've had in SB! Fun and sweet memories that you can always cherish.