Monday, July 12, 2010

GARDEN FEVER!!

Am I a total weirdo for taking pictures of my garden and the stuff that grows in it? If so, I guess I'm okay with that. I love my science experiment of a garden, and it just amazes me that we can grow our own food with dirt and water basically. And apparently if you compost, you don't even have to buy sees at the store. I think right now we have more volunteer plants from our compost than ones we actually planted there on purpose. The jury's still out on some of them, but I can confirm that two of the plants are butternut squash and a couple are acorn squash. Yay! That's not the only "drama" going on back there. We have a young nectarine tree and all 15 of the ALMOST ripe nectarines were STOLEN by pesky squirrels a few weeks ago! I know it was them, I saw them in the plum tree a few days later going for more. Gggrrrrr...... I've got to devise a plan for next year. Its ME versus the squirrels. (I just realized that I am becoming one of THOSE people.....a grumpy old garden lady.)

At first, in May and June I was going out and picking handfuls of snow peas to eat with the kids as a snack. Now that those faded out, we have so much more going on in the garden! Here's a picture from a few weeks ago in June.


We were getting cute little batches of produce like this for weeks, then we went on vacation for a few days and came back to this...and I didn't even pick all the plums and all the peppers from Nate's pepper farm. He has about 8 different flavors of "hot" growing out there.




I had heard that zucchini could get big if you don't pick them, but this is ridiculous! What am I suppose to do with these guys? Slice them up as pancakes? Well, guess what's for dinner for the next 3 weeks.




2 comments:

Josephine Tournier Ingram said...

amazing!!! :)

Summerose said...

Awesome garden Katie!