Wednesday, July 08, 2009

A Very Merry Un-birthday to Finn!

July 9th is Finn's half-birthday! He is 3 1/2 now.

No, we don't really celebrate half birthdays in our family, but I thought I'd take this opportunity to talk about Finn and all his Finnisms. I do a monthly update about Selahbob because she changes right before our very eyes, but Finn's been changing too - he's so complex now it's sort of hard to know where to start....

*Finn sings ALL THE TIME. I love it. We have whole conversations in singing voices.
*Sometimes he just calls me from whatever room he's in to come over there and "get cozy" with him. It's hard to say no.
*He is always pretending to be a different animal or creature. Today he was a hermit slug. (a cross between a hermet crab and a slug I guess.) He also appoints the rest of the family to be creatures - depending on the type of creature he was channeling. When Finn's a hairy tarantula, then Nate's a daddy long legs, I'm a brown recluse and Selah's a tick. He switches animals on us quickly though. I can always tell which animal he is by how he greets me...."Good morning Mama banana slug."
*He still "plays mass" regularly and now correctly recites several parts of it. He truly does have a strong attraction to all things related to churches. If he sees a church he wants to know all about it. What is it called? Does it have a cross? Is it a "Catholic church, an Orthodox church, an Episcopal church or a Norman church?"
*His other great passion is gardening. I swear he's going to be a monk.


*He has unusually good rhythm for a 3 year old, in my non biased opinion. ;-)
*On the 5th of July, Finn asked me "so is today America's un-birthday now?" So cute.
*When he sees any man wearing a dark suit on television he asks "Is he a president?" "Are they presidents?"
*He loves to rhyme. Most of the time he rhymes real words with made up words.
"smarmage truck....garbage truck!"
*His fear of the water is getting better. We go swimming every other day or so now and is happy as a hermit-slug just frolicking on the steps.
*He still loves trains. We just bought a year pass to the train museum here, and Finn doesn't know what to do with himself!

I caved in and got Finn a Papa Tom haircut. He did a great job.


1 comment:

Josephine Tournier Ingram said...

Oh Finn. He's too cute. We miss you guys!!!
Sending you guys lots of love. -Jos Slug