Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Seven Dreamy Years



I simply cannot believe that Nate and I have been married for seven years! That sounds so long! I have lately been reflecting on the past seven years because we are sort of in limbo right now as we wait for our house (that's right- OUR HOUSE!) to go through escrow. We are living with Nate's parents until then, and it's been great! I knew it would be fine, but I have to say that I have enjoyed my time here more than any previous visit. It used to be a bit draining to just blow through town for special events or holidays. In this time of uncertainty while we crash on Tia Lina's old bed, it leads me to reflect on the many interesting/crazy places Nate and I have slept over the last 7+ years together. We had fun recounting them together during our anniversary date last night:

*At Knapp's Castle, Santa Barbara 2001 - on the ground in sleeping bags. This was the weekend of our friends Dave and Liza's wedding, and the first weekend we talked about getting married and about how we'd love to live in Santa Barbara. Done and done!

*In the dingiest hostel in Ireland, 2001. It was my first hostel experience, and I don't think I've seen one as bad as this since. The communal bathrooms were nasty. But this was 2 days before we got engaged, so it sticks out in my mind.

*At a park in Pamplona, Spain - for the bull fights and running of the bulls. We awoke to a guy with a knife trying to cut into Nate's backpack which he had wrapped around his legs while we slept. Nate made the brave/stupid move to chase the guy for several blocks, catch him and then talk it out.....maybe hug it out...I don't know, I was alone in the park in the dark.....great memory.

*On the beach in San Sebastian, Spain. Do you see a theme here? After the Pamplona debacle, we were a little more on edge this time. We often took night trains and buses which landed us in new cities in the wee hours of the morning ,where we'd try to find a safe place outdoors to crash for a few more hours.

*Then there was the infamous middle of the night bus ride in Bolivia where we TRIED to sleep while sitting in the very last row in the bus crammed with way too many people, on a trip that was supposed to be 5 hours and ended up being 11 because the driver kept pulling over and blowing up one of the tires with a bike pump (and we were pretty sure he was drinking). Somewhere going over the Andes in the snow, he swerved and the bus fell over (on the mountain side, thank God.) We all managed to heave it back to an upright position with a rope. Gotta love South America.

*In the back of our Jetta wagon in Cambria - when I was 6 months pregnant. We knew that this would probably be the last time we could just crash anywhere since kids change everything. We parked right up against the beach. It was beautiful to wake up to waves crashing loudly. We brushed our teeth while walking through tide pools.

*I'm happy to say that the craziest place we've slept now that we are a family of four is on red eye flight from Hawaii.. This one isn't that crazy, but it's not a piece of cake either. We're doing another one in a couple of weeks to Ohio for Dominic's wedding. I can't wait for that plane trip! (oozing with sarcasm).

Here's to many more years of sleeping in crazy places, or like our current situation - not much sleep at all! Happy Anniversary Nato! I love you to pieces.

3 comments:

Watoosa said...

This was such a funny post. I really enjoyed it!
The bit about waking up to the guy with the knife was scary!
Chris and I haven't slept in many odd places together, but I've slept in some odd ones by myself. I've had really refreshing naps: in a garden in Sydney, Australia; on a bench in Prague; and in a cardboard box in my college dorm.

Unknown said...

Although I know that you are actually counting the days to your own house, bed,and emerging from all the boxes you have stashed here and in Yuba City, let me just say that you are more than welcome in our home, bed and lives. This has been such a gift of intensive time for Tom and I to be involved in your lives. I thank God for you, Nate, Finn, and Selah. Has it already been seven years! They have flown by in a rush of love and living. Peg

the purcells said...

happy anniversary monleys and wishing you many more years of wonderful memories for a beautiful family!!